West 6th Brewery and the BCC
Invite You To Join Us For Pedaling for a Purpose 2022
- Featuring a 45 minute education sessions followed by group rides
- Participants earn points toward a free tee shirt or jersey by attending sessions
- Each mile pedaled during the rides earns $0.40 for the charity of the day
We will offer traditional BCC group rides for all paces, with ride leaders, but you can also come, sign in, do your own thing, and have your miles count for our charity of the day.
The charities we will be riding for include three of our local NICA teams (youth mountain biking teams that are just getting started in Central Kentucky), Bluegrass AMBUCS - an organization that provides specially adapted bikes for kids who need them, and Broke Spoke, our local community bike shop.
Education Session - 9:00 - 9:45 a.m. - Our presenter will be our own Fran Bevins. Fran's topic is "Bicycles, Nutrition and You." She will cover what to eat and drink for various length of rides and macro and micro nutrients of importance to cyclists.
NOTE: ONCE AGAIN THE FORECAST IS LESS THAN IDEAL. EVERYONE ATTENDING THE ED SESSION WILL ALSO GET A POINT FOR ATTENDING THE RIDE IF THE WEATHER IS BAD AND THE RIDE IS CANCELLED.
Ride leaders and routes -
- Novice and C Ride on the Legacy Trail - Leaders Mike Staton and Dwayne Edwards - This ride will stay on the Legacy Trail and is appropriate for people new to riding a bike, people who are uncomfortable out on the roads, and people who want to practice riding with others.
- C Road Ride (10-12 mph average) - Leaders Bill Sturm and Ed Jennings - Route is an "out and back" beginning on the Legacy Trail, and group will decide when to turn around - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/36156621
- B/C Pace (12-14 mph average) - Leaders are Jeff Pearson and Peggy Littrell Route is an "out and back" beginning on the Legacy Trail, and group will decide when to turn around https://ridewithgps.com/routes/36156621
- B Pace (14-16 mph average) - Ride leaders are Suzi Zander and Tim Melton- 32 miles (same as short A/B - see link below)
-Short A/B Pace (16-18mph average)- Ride leaders are David and Devonnia Potter - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/36517320 32 miles
- Long A/B Pace (16 - 18 mph average) - Ride leaders are Randy Thomas and Dan Bibbey - 40 miles - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/39298264 NOTE: THERE WILL BE NO STORE STOP ON THIS ROUTE SO BRING EXTRA WATER!
- A Pace (18-20 mph average) - Ride leaders are Tom Hellmann and Arnd Zander - 45 miles - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13475755
- To provide educational opportunities for people wanting to learn more about bikes and cycling
- To provide an opportunity for anyone who wants to ride a bike, whether with a group or not, to meet and mingle
- To support health and fitness related charitable organizations
- To mix and expand the various cycling communities that exist in our area
- To provide incentives for people to ride their bikes
- To introduce cycling to new populations
The Bike Part:
Rides start 1 hour after the education sessions begin and will feature various distances, experience levels, and paces. There will also be an option for people to come, sign in, and do an urban ride or ride on their own.
The Charity Part:
The maximum contribution to AMBUCS, Broke Spoke and the NICA teams, assuming enough miles are logged by participants, to be made jointly by the BCC and West 6th, is $1,400 for each group.
Rider Rewards Part:
Riders will receive rewards at the end of the program based on participation points. 1 point will be awarded for each education session attended and 1 point for each ride attended for a total possible point total of 20 points.
Riders who have 15 or more points will receive a free jersey
Riders who have between 10 and 14 points will receive a free tee shirt
However a participant must have at least 2 points from both rides and education sessions (in other words, to earn a jersey or tee shirt, a participant must attend at least some of both)
There will be a party, celebration, jersey/tee shirt distribution and charity recognition/check delivery event in January of 2023!!!
For more information: https://www.facebook.com/westsixthpedalsandpintsbikeclub