The Bluegrass Cycling Club and West 6th have agreed to co-sponsor Pedaling for a Purpose again for 2021. The charities we will be riding for include the Fayette and Clark County NICA teams (youth mountain biking teams that are just getting started in Central Kentucky) and Bluegrass AMBUCS - an organization that provides specially adapted bikes for kids who need them.
Education Session 9:00 am - 9:45 am
The education session will feature a different speaker each session. Check a week before each scheduled event for information about the presentation. Depending on where we are with COVID capacity restrictions, we may require sign ups to attend the education sessions.
Group Rides Begin at 10 am
Rides offered - We will have group rides with leaders, but you will also have the option to come, sign in, and do something on your own ... Doesn't matter, miles will still count!!! If you plan to ride on your own, you can come and sign in anytime between 9:00 - 11:00 AM... Just time it so you're done by noonish.
Ride posting will be updated the week before each ride with specific route links and ride leaders
We will offer group rides at the following paces/distances
Novice - On the legacy trail
C pace - will begin on the Legacy Trail but will include some riding on the roads - will usually be an out and back route
Slower A/B pace
Faster A/B pace
Restrooms are available on site - Education sessions will be held regardless of weather - Rides may be cancelled or rescheduled if there are severe weather issues. Check the BCC forum and FaceBook for updates.
- To provide educational opportunities for people wanting to learn more about bikes and cycling
- To provide an opportunity for anyone who wants to ride a bike, whether with a group or not, to meet and mingle
- To support health and fitness related charitable organizations
- To mix and expand the various cycling communities that exist in our area
- To provide incentives for people to ride their bikes
- To introduce cycling to new populations
Each mile ridden during pedaling for a purpose will result in $0.40 for the charity of the day. The maximum contribution, to be made jointly by the BCC and West 6th, is $1,300 for each charity
Rider Rewards Part:
Riders will receive rewards at the end of the program based on participation points.
Attendance at each education session is 1 point and at each ride is 1 point – if we do 8 weeks, Covid permitting, total
possible points is 16
• 12 points to earn a jersey
• 8 points to earn a tee shirt (but a max of 6 points from either rides, or education sessions – in other
words, a person must attend some of each)